Are you exploring Canada? Wonderful idea! But have you thought about getting the right travel insurance?
Canada is a multi-faceted country that many dream of discovering. Montreal, Toronto, Quebec City and Ottawa are fascinating cities. And what about the exceptional nature of this country?
Niagara Falls of course, Banff National Park, Jasper National Park, it’s hard to resist the spectacle promised. But to enjoy it in the best way, we advise you to take out travel insurance for Canada. It will be a real financial security for you, you will be able to take full advantage of this stay full of magic.
Are you looking for the best travel insurance for Canada? If so, you will have to compare prices and guarantees. Indeed, your insurance must be able to adapt to your budget while offering coverage that is consistent with the nature of your stay.
Don’t buy cheap travel insurance if it doesn’t meet your needs. Also, don’t take out all the coverage at the risk of paying full price if, in the end, only half of it is useful to you.
There is no better universal insurance, only coverage that will allow you to enjoy your vacation in Canada to the fullest.
To find the best travel insurance for you, you need to consider the following parameters:
- The length of your stay (the risk increases over time) ;
- The nature of your accommodations (cancellation coverage generally works with professional hoteliers, not with platforms between individuals) ;
- The activities planned during your stay in Canada (visit of the high places of Vancouver or hiking in the heart of the Rockies);
- The amount of medical expenses in the country (to choose the right amount of coverage);
- Your state of health.
- What is the cost of travel insurance for Canada?
- There is no standard price for travel insurance. Why is there no standard price? Simply because it is determined by different factors and no two travellers will necessarily have the same needs.
To determine the amount of its premium, the insurance company will take into account the following elements:
- Your age;
- The length of the stay;
- The guarantees subscribed;
- The number of people to be insured.
- In addition, each insurance company is free to set its prices as it sees fit. As a result, with equal guarantees, rates can vary greatly.
Why take out travel insurance for Canada?
Taking out insurance for Canada is a response to a need for protection. Indeed, it is the solution to leave with peace of mind and know that you will be accompanied in case of a problem.
What are the guarantees of a comprehensive travel insurance?
When you purchase comprehensive travel insurance, for Canada or anywhere else, for a short stay or for a trip around the world, you generally have basic coverage and options according to your needs. It’s up to you to customize these coverages to suit your needs.
Here are the benefits you can choose from as part of your travel insurance:
- Medical expenses (consultations, medical care, hospitalization insurance, coverage for medication, etc.) ;
- Civil liability coverage ;
- Legal assistance ;
- Baggage loss and theft insurance ;
- Trip Cancellation Insurance ;
- Search and rescue costs ;
- Trip modification insurance ;
- Sports insurance (extreme or not)
- Repatriation assistance (medical repatriation or to join relatives in the event of a death in your country).
Is travel insurance mandatory for Canada?
No, Canada is not one of the 4 countries in which travel insurance is mandatory. However, this is not a reason not to take it out. The proposed coverages can cover you at any time, it is better not to take any risk, especially for such a far trip.
To get a concrete idea of the need for travel insurance, you should know that a doctor’s consultation is around $100. Do you need an ambulance? This time it will cost you $600. With travel insurance, you won’t have to pay for this.
The Importance of Repatriation Insurance for Canada
Repatriation insurance is always important, especially when you travel to a faraway country.
There are two types of repatriation:
- Medical repatriation: if you are injured in an accident, if you fall and are unable to travel normally, etc., you will be repatriated to your home country.
- Repatriation to join your family in case of problems in your country: this allows you to pay for your plane ticket.
Having to take an additional plane ticket has a cost that you may not be able to afford. And, in case of medical repatriation, this cost will skyrocket. Without insurance, Canada will certainly not be among your best memories.
Am I reimbursed for my care in Canada by Medicare?
When you leave for Canada, travel insurance covers your care. If you have chosen not to purchase travel insurance, then you can actually ask Medicare to reimburse you. However, this solution has two limitations:
- You must make an advance payment;
- You will only be reimbursed according to French rates.
- As we have seen, medical expenses in Canada are extremely expensive.
- If you wish to be reimbursed, you must fill out a cerfa “care abroad” form and attach paid invoices and proof of payment.
- Good to know: reimbursement will only be granted by the consulting physician if the treatment was truly urgent and unexpected.
Does my Visa or Mastercard cover me in Canada?
A credit card like Visa Premier or Gold Mastercard is a good way to benefit from travel insurance. You may therefore be covered during your trip to Canada. However, we advise you to compare the coverage with that of a travel insurance policy to make sure that it will be sufficient in terms of coverage and indemnity limits.
What insurance should I take if I rent a car in Canada?
As a vast country, Canada cannot fully discover itself without a car. If you rent a car, you will automatically be covered by insurance. However, this insurance is rarely sufficient to hope for a complete coverage.
Most of the time, you are protected in case of an at-fault accident, the car rental insurance compensates the third party. On the other hand, the damage caused to the vehicle you have rented is not always compensated. And, when this is the case, you often have to pay a large deductible.
We advise you to make a comparison between an independent car rental insurance and the one offered by your car rental company to be sure that you will be taken care of up to your expectations.
Administrative, health and safety for Canada: our advice
Here are some important points to consider before you leave for Canada.
Which visa for Canada?
Visa-exempt foreign travelers, especially tourists wishing to travel to Canada by air, needs an ETA (electronic travel authorization). This one costs 7 dollars and will be directly linked to your passport. You can apply for it online.
With this ETA, it is possible to visit Canada for 3 months. However, if you plan to stay longer, you will need to apply for a visa.
Health & Hygiene
As we have seen, health costs are very expensive, so travel insurance is a must. As for hygiene, there are no specific risks in Canada.
As far as health is concerned, be vigilant in the forests. Indeed, ticks proliferate, so the risk of contracting Lyme disease is important. Therefore, it is preferable to be well covered during a hike. Mosquitoes are also very present in Canada, so make sure you have products to protect yourself.
Safety on site
Crime rates in cities across Canada are very low. However, stay alert and don’t hang around at night in neighbourhoods that you think are not friendly. Be careful not to make your wallet or cell phone accessible. If crime is low, theft is not excluded.
What to do in the event of an accident in Canada?
You don’t have travel insurance and you find yourself alone in the event of an accident? Call 911. As in the United States, this is a single number for all emergencies.
What health insurance for expatriates in Canada?
You are conquered by Canada and wish to expatriate? Therefore, it is no longer a travel insurance, but an expatriate insurance that you will have to buy. This specific contract allows you to benefit from a complete insurance policy that covers your medical care, hospitalization and repatriation assistance in case of early return, according to the guarantees subscribed to. You also benefit from civil liability insurance in case of damage caused to a third party.